A Welcome Note: On Filling the Gaps

Dear Friends and Family:

Although I haven't added any posts since the summer of 2007, this blog continues to be a warehouse of my thoughts and experiences from my time abroad.


Sunday, March 4, 2007

Morocco: Day Five

2.27.07 - This morning I woke up with the worst diarrhea ever. I mean total blowout. From the moment I got out of bed I had to run for the toilet and went two times before we even left the hotel. I felt O.K. but had very little control over my bowels and knew immediately that my dinner last night was at fault. Even worse, I wasn’t about to shower in the ice cold shower and we had to go immediately to the Sahara Expedition office to leave on our journey. So squeezing my buttocks and hoping for the best, we trotted off to catch our bus. One more pit stop on the way and I felt better already. By the time we were underway I was much better. The trip was long, six hours about, but we did occasionally stop along the way at various cafes and sights along the way. We checked out some Kasbahs and gaped at the incredibly varied landscape in between naps. That evening, around 5pm we arrived in Zagora, a town at the edge of the desert and took only our bare necessities before getting outfitted in Berber gear and getting suited up for the much anticipated camel ride. It was truly incredible to see these powerful animals stand up and crouch as their legs had two joints each. Finally we were linked up and ready to move out. As we began our journey through the Sahara with the sun setting to our backs, the local young boys ran along side us throwing woven grass camels at us, desperate for a Durham or two. Finally we made our way out of the village and came upon the dunes. They just came out of nowhere and it was incredible to see the sun setting over the mountains on all sides. When the sun set completely, we arrived at our campsite and took our shoes off to enter the tent. After taking a breather, the Berber guides brought out dinner, the amazing couscous that we had come to love. We all ate with our hands out of one big dish and when the food was gone, the Berbers brought out the drums and tambourines. We were serenaded for about half an hour and then invited to join them outside to dance among the dunes. Foolishly, I took my camera with me outside (forgetting to replace it in its case and that it was even in my pocket) and with the other “Saharans” danced around in the sand for hours. That night, when I returned to the tent, I realized I had severely damaged my camera with the flour like sand and frustrated with myself, went off to sleep, rolled up in a Berber blanket.

No comments:

Thanks for visitng!